"> Dropped Kerb - The Driveway Company

Dropped Kerb

Drop Kerbs

Are you considering having your front garden turned into a driveway do you want your original driveway turned into a drive in and drive out style, either way you are probably going to need a drop kerb or dropped kerb, this essentially will lower the kerb (drop kerb) that is road side to the level of the actual road thus allowing smooth and safe access to your driveway.

Before you decided to go ahead and drop your kerb there are a few things you need to know.  These will need to be addressed before you start which will save you money and maybe a day in court.Dropped Kerb

Do I need palnning permission for a dropped kerb?

They are seen every day throughout the country, and you might pass hundreds or thousands of them on your daily commute without giving them so much as a doubt. Dropped kerbs are developed to enhance access to home for all types of vehicles, but their setup requires changes to existing kerbs and footways.

Under the Town Country Planning Act 1990, anybody who is looking for a dropped kerb to be put in front of their home need to request planning permission if they need gain access to on to a classified roadway. Nevertheless, if the residential or commercial property that requires the dropped kerb is adjacent to a non-classified or non-principal road, planning permission is not required. The very same applies to property adjacent to an unclassified road and likewise unadopted roads.

There are a number of standards and requirements that must be met before you can being the process of developing a dropped kerb. If you are intending to acquire a dropped kerb, or crossover as they’re likewise understood, your front garden should satisfy the following requirements:

Planning permission is not generally required unless your property falls into one of the categories below:

  • The access point is an A, B or C classified road
  • The property is multi-occupied, e.g. flats
  • The property is a shop, commercial business, office etc.

What you also have to remember is that if you are installing a driveway that leads to a dropped kerb then you will need to use porous or permeable materials such as resin bound.

Using a local authority registered dropped kerb contractor will make life so much easier as they will make all the applications on your behalf and will generally get pushed through quicly because they have a good track record with the council.

For further information please fill out the form to the right and we will be in touch.

‘The Driveway and Home Improvement Company Ltd’ is an introducer appointed representative of Ideal Sales Solutions Ltd T/A Ideal4Finance. Ideal Sales Solutions is a credit broker and not a lender (FRN 703401). Finance available subject to status. The rate offered is always provisional and will depend upon your personal circumstances, the loan amount and term. Click to Call 0800 107 5166